North Canaan Board of Education
1. Putting children first.
2. To continue the process of reviewing and revising Board of Education policies by:
a. including policy review as a monthly agenda item, except during the budget process(October, November, January & April).
· Continue the review of the 6000 series.
· Streamline-Alternate with presentations.
3. Building and Grounds needs:
a. annual review of building projects. (May)
4. WELLNESS POLICY updates.
5. To Gain an understanding of instructional programs by:
a. inviting teachers to present at Board meetings (Invite with time of 20 minutes & encourage examples of student work) (September, December, May & June).
b. become familiar with common core and the new online assessment.
c. support PBIS (Positive Behavior Initative Support).
6. Institute a process of on-going professional development for the Board of Education by:
a. conduct orientation materials for new Board members. Include a “training” component as a monthly agenda item, i.e., Nutmeg Board scenarios.
b. attending FOI, CABE and other Board of education type conferences.
c. conducting annual self-review of Board effectiveness.
7. Public Awareness:
a. budget forums (February, March)
b. posting/advertising meetings in multiple places (sign, website, newspaper).
c. encourage public participation.